donderdag 14 april 2011

Supro Dual-Tone hardware

The biggest problem with these guitars is finding the right parts, they are either rare or to expensive... So what do you do when you want a bridge or tailpiece? That's right: DIY FTW! Build it yourself.
I found out the bridges of these old Supro's were made out of rosewood, so I went to this luthiershop and got me some pieces of rosewood to get started with.
And by accident I got in contact with a really kind French craftsman... He made me these repro tuningbuttons! These are another detail that add to the character of this guitar.
The tailpiece is made out of a sheet of brass (0,8mm thick) and an aluminum bolt.

Repro tuningbuttons on a piece of rosewood.

 Removing the white buttons of the 3-on-a-plate Kluson tuningpeg.

 The new buttons installed! Looks great, doesn't it?


 Replica tailpiece, made to the exact specs of an original '58 D-T.

Bringing the rosewood to the correct thickness and size...

Checking the shape... Looks good to me!


Here's some bridges I made. The one up front is the one I used on my D-T, the others didn't turn out good enough...
Finished Supro bridge. Could be better, but good enough for now!

Next up: Winding pickups!!!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten